[THIN] Re: Strange Problem after Applying MS03-039 Patch

  • From: Brian Lilley <Brian.Lilley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:03:45 +0100

I would use procexp from sysinternals on the server to see if the server
actually manages to start the desired APP.EXE...and if it does, find out why
it is dying.

If the exe is starting then I would then use Dependency Walker which allows
you to trace the startup of a program so that you can see exactly what it is
doing.

Also, using regmon.exe and filemon.exe also from systinternals will show you
any file access problems or reg problems...

Where this all falls apart is the fact that the program runs fine from
within the desktop....so I would wonder what the difference is, I'm flakey
on this Citrix stuff, but  as far as I know, when an app is run within the
context of a 'seamless windows', the app.exe is started up along with one
wfshell thingy...not sure what that is, but my point is that perhaps the
app.exe is struggling to start in this context... hopefully the sysinternal
tools I have mentioned may help you...

have fun... the sysinternal tools are well worth their weight in gold....

cheers, Brianos :o)