[THIN] Strange Problem after Applying MS03-039 Patch

  • From: Jennifer Booth <jennifer.booth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:56:47 -0700

Hi Gang -

        We are running into a problem on one of our servers after applying
the latest RPCSS patch from Microsoft.  The server is running Windows NT
Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition, Metaframe XP FR1.  Since installing the
patch, published applications aren't working, however, the published desktop
*does*.  When trying to run the app, all you get is the Initializing, and it
dumps out right away, the application never comes up.  But the desktop
connects and comes up.  Which is very strange.  We did notice that about the
time the patch was installed back on 9/10, the Metaframe COM Server ceased
to start, and we can't get it to start at all.  We get a 7009 Event ID from
Service Control Manager, Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service
to connect.  We tried applying a KB article on Citrix's website that the
Path variable was set incorrectly and found that it wasn't set at all.  We
copied over from the known good server and rebooted, but the service still
didn't start.  That's the kicker to this problem... We do have an identical
server with the same setup and patching, only it works properly.  Anyone
have any good ideas for me?

Thanks so much!

Jennifer

Jennifer Booth