[THIN] Storage recommendations/tips for Hper-V-based XenApp and other virtual servers

  • From: Richard Waters <richard.waters@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:07:49 -0600

I am going to be upgrading and moving all of my systems to virtual
servers running on a Windows 2008 Hyper-V platform.  All of my servers
are running Windows OS's.  After the move, all servers will be running
either Windows 2003 R2 or Windows Server 2008.  Being new to
virtualization and needing to make this change as soon as possible, I
really could use some help figuring out some aspects of what to
purchase.  This will be somehwere in the neighborhood of a $50,000
purchase.

My biggest questions relate to the best method for storing the VHD's for
best performance and best cost.  I am looking at purchasing 4-5 servers
with 8 processor cores and 32-64 GB's RAM.  I am looking at going with
iSCSI for storage but am not sure how it would need to be configured for
best performance.  I will be running one XenApp server on three physical
boxes to start with and will be running Exchange 2007 in some kind of
failsafe configuration.  I have started running Communications Server
2007 and hope to be able to implement full-blown Unified Communications
some time in the near future.  These 3 services are where I am most
concerned about getting great operating performance.

What kind of iSCSI storage system would work the best, and on the
Hyper-V hosts, do I only need 1 iSCSI adapter or do I need to plan for
multiple iSCSI adapters for performance reasons.

Does anyone know about the 3.6 or 5.4 terabyte HP Storageworks 1200r.
Would this provide great performance for a smaller operation such as
mine and be able to host all of my VHD's with no noticeable performance
hit, especially for the Citrix servers?

Anyone have an opinion on blade systems vs. traditional servers for a
small operations such as mine?

Any insight regarding any aspect of this upgrade would be most helpful
and greatly appreciated.