[THIN] Re: Softgrid performance tips

  • From: "Rob Ellis" <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:17:21 +0100

Is the launch delay on first launch of an app for a user, or everytime?

Depending on the app, various user config files, etc, are created the 1st time
a user launches an app, causing a delay, even if the app is 100% cached.

Also worth checking DNS, AD performance, etc, in terms of the VAS doing a
lookup to check the user has rights to run the app - I believe it does this at
every launch.

VFS versus MNT performance is not really an issue with v4 and above, although
as always, YMMV.

Rob

        Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 15:46:58 -0400
        From: Frank.Monroe@xxxxxxxxxxx
        To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Anyone have any Softgrid performance tips?  I am currently testing
Softgrid and while I admit it has potential, I am seeing a 3-5 second delay
when launching simple applications such Acrobat Reader.  This occurs even after
the application is loaded fully in the cache.
        Thanks in advance.