[THIN] Re: Slow performance over WAN

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:29:38 -0400

These changes look about right.

While you can?t change the speed of light, anything you can do to reduce the
amount of traffic will help quite a bit as (except for satellite) volume
adds to latency at the low bandwidth bottlenecks (aka ?the local loop?).
Reducing encryption might help and certainly won?t hurt performance.  That
the loop has Asynch speeds does not matter (other than the limits on the
bandwidth, eg: 512/1024 will always be better than 512/512).

I have seen some site use appliances, such as Packeteer, to help with
prioritizing RDP/ICA versus other local loop traffic at the remote ends to
help as well.  Third party reduced bandwidth printing solutions can help
also.  Limiting ability to copy files between server and local PC also.

Tim Mangan

  _____