[THIN] Slightly OT : Cached User Accounts

  • From: "Brookus, Tony (ITCD)" <TBrookus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:42:07 -0500

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm seeing it a lot on my terminal servers.

Users are connecting to a published desktop or to published apps from thin
clients or pcs.  The problem is that sometimes after a user changes their
network password, they will lock up their network account during the logon
process of a terminal server.  It has to be a server they have logged into
recently with their old password.  So, a user can launch app A on server A
fine.  They change their password the next day and launch app A on server A
and their network account will be locked out.  If they hit server B, they
are fine.  If server A is rebooted, they won't lock up their account.  Also,
if the password is reset to the old password, they are fine as well.  Note
that it doesn't happen to every user or all the time.

Somehow server A (thought it's obviously not isolated to one server) is
"caching" the account information of the user.  We've seen this on WinNT and
Win2003 terminal servers, but it does seem to appear more often on 2003.
Domain is NT, but will soon be migrated to AD/2003.

Anyone have any clues how the terminal server can be holding on to these
accounts?  Right now, our only hope is that AD will resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Tony