[THIN] Sizing Citrix Servers

  • From: "King, Jesse" <JKing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:32:30 -0500

Hi gang - Looking for some advice for putting together our new Citrix farm

Current environment:

5 citrix server farm
Compaq ProLiant ML370
Dual Pent III 667mhz/256k cache
1.5gb memory
Windows 2000 Server/Metaframe XPe FR2

Current user load is 220 users which is 44 per server.
Current application set that is used is Office 2000, IE, Outlook. A few
business specific applications, but then the big hog an ERP package that
takes up gobs of memory. The ERP package uses Progress.

Performance was acceptable until we went from 180 users to 220 users. Now
things are sluggish and will get worse because new users are not even using
the ERP solution. Also started receiving I/O errors randomly after adding
the new users.

Application set will not change in the foreseeable future, but what will
change is the growth and amount of users.

So I have the lucky fortune of picking new hardware.

Can anyone recommend what HP/Compaq hardware that I should be looking at. I
have a budget of around 60k, for hardware/rack. So this is a good start.

I was thinking 6 or 7 dual processor dl380 or dl360? Any one have any
thoughts?

Thanks and this should be fun!

Jesse

than buying more servers.