[THIN] Re: Single DB on Oracle with 2 schemas and Datastores?

  • From: "Steve Raffensberger" <sraffens1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:45:01 -0400

Cherie,

I've seen this trick at both of my former employers. I assume DBA's want to
do this because it saves money on Oracle licensing.

It has worked pretty well in most cases with the following caveats:
1. These schemas exist under a single database instance.
   Whenever any of the schemas needs maintenance or gets sick,
   the whole instance must come down. If you are being shared
   with an inherently unstable application, you will suffer.
2. Make sure the DBA's thoroughly document what they've done.
   This can be difficult and time consuming for someone to
   discover and work with after a few years go by.
3. I don't know how well this plays with some of the new,
   automated DBA tools that are being hawked by vendors.

Good luck,

Raff