[THIN] Re: Simple GPO question

  • From: "Jim Hathaway" <JimH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 13:13:46 -0800

The Restricted groups policy setting is the "new" windows 2003 method of
making this change to the local machine group accounts. If you don't
want to use it, then you're doing the change manually . . .or scripting
it works too.

Basic MS article on the restricted groups:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs
/en-us/sce_res_group.mspx

The setup just seems odd, but it's really straight forward once you get
it sorted out.

You could also look at a 3rd party utility mentioned here to update all
machines on the fly. . . .(I'm sure VB and WSH can be utilitized to do
the same thing)

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7300/rh7347.htm

Or . . you can always "right click" on the computer in AD users and
computers, and select "manage" and then manipulate whatever groups you
need to.

HTH