[THIN] Re: Silent Outlook 2003 Profile Creation

  • From: "Walter, Chris" <christopher.walter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:08:58 -0400

I use mandatory profiles as well and used the CIW.  I don't have any of the
problems your talking about though.  I am pretty sure most of those things
are configured in the CIW.  However things like the Welcome message can be
configured or disabled by using the Office 2003 policies.  I had my policies
setup before I ran it the first time so maybe that is why I didn't see these
problems.  When I launch Outlook it takes me straight into Outlook without
any "Configuring Outlook" or "Welcome message".  If you setup your profile
in the CIW then it should copy the prf file to the root of your install path
and call the file custom11.prf.  If you don't use the /import it should
automatically use this file.

Something else of note, I had a problem a few weeks back with wanting to use
the PRF file to create the profile without actually launching Outlook.
Found out that this is not possible but Microsoft gave me a VB script with
an INI file that can be used to silently generate a profile.  It is pretty
basic though and is only used to setup the Exchange service (No PAB or PST).
Microsoft said it came from sample code so it was ok for me to pass it
around if you want it.

Chris