[THIN] Silent Installation of ICA Client 7

  • From: "Christian Fenneberg" <cfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:18:54 +0200

Hi all,

My way of doing a silent installation/Update of the ICA 7.0 client.

1. Download and unzip the ica32.exe klient to ICA70
1. Create a setup.iss file using setup.exe -r answer all install questions as
needed
2. Copy setup.iss from your windows dir to ICA70\disk1
3. Copy ICA70 to network share \\server\share

I then created a batch file (ICAINST.BAT) like this
Xcopy /E /Y \\server\share\ica70\*.* c:\icatemp\
c:
cd\
cd icatemp
cd disk1
setup.exe -s

The problem with this setup.exe is that it does not wait for the setup to
complete, it just starts a NTVDM and finishes so I had to use two tools to make
this work;
AutoIT from Hiddensoft - freeware
http://www.hiddensoft.com/cgi-bin/countdown.pl?AutoIt/AutoIt.exe

And Scriptwriter:
http://www.lkei.com/products/scriptwriter.asp?action=downloadtrial

Install autoIT and then scriptwriter. These are very easy tools to create .exe
files that can simulate keypresses.

My goal was to be able to install/update the klient in the logon script on
Win98, Win2000 prof and WinXP, they handle the install differently but I ended
up with a simple script like this;
Run, \\\\server\\share\\Ica70\\disk1\\Icainst.bat, , Hide
WinWait, C
WinActivate, C
WinClose, C
MsgBox, 0, Citrix Update, Your Client as been updated \n Press OK continue

What it does is run the icainst.bat file and then waits for a window with the
title "C" to appear. this is the Citrix Ica Client program group. I had to
check on "C" as on windows98 it would create a window called "c:\windows\start
menu\...." on windows2000 it would be "c:\documents and settings\..." and on
WinXp it would be "Citrix ICA Client"

I then incoperated into the logon script for workstations.

Hope this helps you out there.

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Christian Fenneberg
Project Manager/Senior Systems Engineer

A K S Informationssystemer A/S

Få din Citrix-uddannelse i vores Citrix Authorized Learning Centre (CALC) i
Århus og København.
Se alle vores kurser på    <http://www.citrixkurser.dk/> www.citrixkurser.dk

A K S Informationssystemer A/S
Smakkedalen 4