[THIN] Re: Short question (Streched Cluster Support in W2K3 Enterprise Edition ?)

  • From: "Chris Lynch" <lynch00@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:53:09 -0700

That would be correct.  Either doing a snapshot replica, or more preferably
a cluster/bit copy so not all data is transferred across the wire.  With
EMC's management products, they can replicate data all the way down the bit
level so not every single file is copied; just the changes to a file.

I don't have any experience with the Veritas Clustering solutions (with the
exception of one client that had a Veritas Cluster for their Exchange 2000
server, and they dumped it because there were too many issues with it).

What is the reason for a stretched cluster?  Is it due to the lack of
funding for additional servers?  It would be beneficial to have two
clusters; an online and offline cluster.  The Online cluster would reside in
your main DC, and the offline cluster would reside in your DR site.
Data/volumes would be replicated between the two SAN's/NAS's in real time
(preferably with a dedicated line, or a shared line would be sufficient.
It's all dependant on the total amount of data you are going to be
replicating).

I LOVE this subject SSSSOOOOO much (along with the Vmware topic)!

Chris