[THIN] Re: Shared userids/Default Printers

  • From: "Bray, Donovan (ESC)" <BrayD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:31:35 -0700

Lots of strange things happen with shared accounts. My first foray into
terminal services was replacing an old lab of traditional machines, we did
this without thinking about it too much since we were migrating from a lab
that everybody logged in as "lab-a" it seemed natural to continue doing that
with the terminal servers.

We had odd problems like when a class was instructed to use Word and insert
clipart. The first user to manage to open up clipart ended up locking
everybody else out of it, because Word was locking one of the files in the
user's profile directory.  We had many other problems that ended up going
away when we created workstation assigned accounts and used mandatory user
profiles such that every machine now had a specific login ie: "lab-a-22".
This turned out to be the best option until we began making user specific
accounts.

  _____