[THIN] Re: Setting up network Printers on Windows 2003 Terminal Server issue

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:18:16 +0100

To be honest, for this scenario, you'd be better off with Kixtart - as
it dynamically caches group membership information in HKCU (if
necessary, you can clear this cache on the command line that calls
Kixtart).

This clearly has advantages if you are going to query group membership
numerous times within a login script.

There is nothing inherent within vbscript / WSH that's going to do this,
so if you wanted to do a similar thing with a vbscript login script,
you'd have to code it yourself (normally people use the dictionary
objects).

Plus, nested group membership checks can and will be more complex to
code within something like vbscript, than with Kixtart.

Using other rationale, though, and the differences are more blurred.
Were your criteria more to do with the structure of AD, as opposed to
the rather flat, legacy domain model, the gap would narrow between which
scripting tool was more advantageous / suitable for these sort of
things.

So as to what you currently want to do - Kixtart is more advantageous as
far as the conditional logic is concerned.

As to the printer mapping side of things - I'd say there's nothing
between them.

As to the persistency of the per-user printer mappings, they will be
stored in HKCU - so if you maintain HKCU for each user (ie roaming
profiles, or appropriate selections within the hybrid profile model) the
mappings will be retained.

Neil

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.