[THIN] Setting up Printing in Metaframe...

  • From: "Steve Rance" <steve.rance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:18:16 +0100

I am currently carrying out research into the best way to print from =
Metaframe and could like to get any experience, thoughts, etc from you =
guys.
Currently all the printers are installed on the Metaframe box, and =
shared.  Users then either print direct to the printer, though the =
share, or have the printer installed locally on their PC which is then =
auto-created when they logon to Citrix and they print though that.....  =
Note: I didn't set this up.

I am in the progress of rebuilding all the servers at the company and =
this is how I think would be more ideal.

1.      Install all the printers on a File and Print W2K Server.
2.      Setup the F&P Server as a Network Printer Server in Citrix.
3.      Create a "user / printer" matrix and setup each user so they only =
have the printers shown they actually need.
4.      Turn off auto-creating client printers.

We have 1 Citrix Server (will be Metaframe FR2 on W2K), 55 users (but =
growing), and 17 printers (selection of networked and client connected =
via LPT or USB).  The user base is a mix of Thin Clients, and PC's =
running W98, WNT, W2K and WXP.
I would be grateful for any feedback in the above.

Thanks,

Steve Rance