[THIN] Re: Setting a home directory script

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:48:46 +0100

Well it can do - but if you go about things via LDAP, it's going to give
you the LDAP salient attribute (ie cn or dn). LDAP, per se, doesn't give
a stuff about the windows account / sAMAccountName.

> i.e. it gives me the common name of MICKEY MOUSE, but I don't
> see poor Mickey's normal user name of MMOUSE.  (unless I use
> net/user and pipe it to a text file.

When I run net user I get the sAMAccountName <shrug>

> It's a bit cludgy but I can force 300 little wimpy scripts to
> generate.  DOS redirection and For commands I'm very
> comfortable with.  Is there a better way, ...oh probably but
> this will work.

Well you've got to use what you feel effective with.

Although one thing to be careful with, is not fighting problems because
you're not using the best tool for the task - you can make things quite
difficult, but insistence to cling to something merely because it's what
you know now.

I'm probably well noted for advocating various scripting tools /
languages for various tasks, and it has to be said, for AD
administration, ADSI scripting is the way to go.

Everything else will likely be a contrived cludge.

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for the above
named recipient only. If this has come to you in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. You must take no
action based on this, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its
contents to any person or organisation. Statements and opinions contained in
this email may not necessarily represent those of Littlewoods Group Limited or
its subsidiaries. Please note that e-mail communications may be monitored. The
Registered Office of Littlewoods Group Limited and its subsidiaries is 100 Old
Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB. Registered number of Littlewoods Group Limited
is 5059352.

www.blackspider.com
This Weeks Sponsor: eg Innovations, Inc.
Enabling Proactive Infrastructure Triage eG Innovations, Inc. is the leading
provider of real-time monitoring and proactive triage solutions
for IT Infrastructures.
http://www.eginnovations.com/egcitrix.htm