[THIN] Re: Session hangs/resets

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 21:51:11 +0800

Hi Ang,

I don't think you've understood my questions on the NAS. I know what a NAS
is, but you can get them as different OSs, such as Windows as the OS running
Windows Storage Server 2003 or 2008, meaning that you still join it to your
domain and log in and manage it just like a normal Windows server. Anyway.we
digress.

I assume from your answer you're using something like a NetApp Filer. Whilst
it may be underutilised and your NAS admin says there's nothing wrong with
it, everything will look normal if you're not looking in the right place.
Read something like this:
http://netappsky.com/storage-management/cifs-performance-is-slow-after-inves
tigating-performance-issues-cifs-considerations/

There is definitely a problem\bottleneck with SMB, which is killing the box.
The thing is, you can change those parameters on the Citrix servers and get
more aggressive, but unless the NAS is setup correctly, it may be to no
avail.

Refer to this KB article for tuning the Citrix servers:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324446

Cheers,

Jeremy.

From: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:45:09 +0800

Hi Ang,

Ronnie has a good point. I know all about Notes 8.5 as I used to work for
IBM J

Notes 8.5 also uses heaps of memory. Are you using 2003 Enterprise or
Standard? 32-bit or 64-bit?

As for the SMB tuning, what is the NAS? Is it still a Windows 2003 or 2008
server?

On the Citrix server you can use PerfMon to monitor the following:

Redirector\Current Commands: Current Commands counts the number of requests
to the Redirector that are currently queued for service. If this number is
much larger than the number of network adapter cards installed in the
computer, then the network(s) and/or the server(s) being accessed are
seriously bottlenecked. The number indicated by the Current Commands counter
indicates the number of pending commands that are waiting to be serviced by
the local computer. This is the number of pending commands from the local
computer to all destination servers. This means that if one of the
destination servers does not respond in a timely manner, the number of
current commands on the local computer may increase. The goal of a
Terminal/Citrix Server deployment is to keep the Current Commands value to
about 60 on heavily utilised servers. A Current Commands value of 80 means
that on average you've got 80 pending SMB/RPC network I/O commands in the
queue. With standard out-of-the-box tuning, it means that you're probably
getting pretty close to the edge at times. When the pending requests queue
is full, things stop (pause) momentarily until the queue has free slots. If
settings such as the MaxMpxCt and MaxWorkItems values are not increased on
the file server(s), anything at all that slows down your file server will
potentially impact on your Terminal/Citrix Servers. Tuning MaxCmds on the
Terminal/Citrix Server end won't provide any enhancement unless the file
server end is increased as well.

On the file server, assuming it's a Windows server, you can use PerfMon to
monitor the following:

Server\Work Item Shortages: It represents the number of times no work items
were available or couldn't be allocated to service a file request. It
indicates whether or not the InitWorkItems or MaxWorkItems parameters need
to be adjusted. If you see any other value than zero, you need to start
worrying. Upping the InitWorkItems or MaxWorkItems could help out here.

Server Work Queues\Available Work Items: Shows the instantaneous number of
available work items per CPU. A work item is typically a request from a
client to the server; the server maintains a pool of available work items
per CPU to speed processing. Sustained values smaller than ten means that
the File server is running out of work items. When it does, performance
really starts to plummet. If it reaches zero, clients may be unable to
access files. Make sure this doesn't happen by upping the MinFreeworkItems
value.

There are a lot more things you can monitor on the Citrix servers, but this
is a start. If you are experiencing an SMB bottleneck, I would expect to see
a high number of Current Commands.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Jeremy.