[THIN] Re: Session Down State

  • From: "Hamilton, Ronnie" <ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 09:56:08 -0000

Hi Pat,

One question on the stability patches do you apply in any particular
order ?

Just wondering do I always need to apply the session down fix last ?

Regards,

Ronnie

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 22:56:47 -0500
From: strangedog@xxxxxxxxx
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Per MS, the issue indeed extends to both listeners, ICA and RDP.  There
has not been a security hotfix for Termsrv.dll for years.  A couple of
supporting components got hotfixed in March, but termsrv.dll was left
out.  Either of the two articles below fix the issue.  I use the newer
one (977629) as it has tested without issue and might keep me out of hot
water down the road.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977629

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958476

Here is the Citrix writeup: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX133141

Here is Microsoft's writeup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2653956

This is good info to keep on file for anyone dealing with
Citrix/Terminal Services on 2003.

Patrick Coughlin

CCIA, MCSE....

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Andrew Wood
<andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alan,

Makes sense to me.

I only ever experienced the issue in a full TS environment (well XenApp
actually). But it could happen either to RDP or ICA connections. Rarely
both at the same time - so you could be limping along with RDP broken
and ICA fine, or vice versa. In the event log there would be an error
message along the lines of an RDP (or ICA) component (a .dll) was
missing/corrupt/illegal - so the service was unavailable. There was a
suggestion in other KB articles that AV was modifying  the file in some
way and it should be excluded. This was not the case.

I found the only way to fix the problem was to rebuild up until I came
across the patch.

hth