[THIN] Re: Server spec's

  • From: "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 09:03:09 -0500

That is exactly what I am saying.  That is also what I do for all my lab
setups.

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Andrew Wood
Subject: [THIN] Re: Server spec's

So you're saying XenApp 6 + 2k8R2sp1 has zero issues so far once all the
issues are fixed?

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Webster

I pick on Joe 24*7! J

XenApp 5 on 2003 (32/64 bit) is a rock solid and stable product.

XenApp 6 is stable depending on your Microsoft and Citrix hotfixes installed
and whether you have R2 SP1 installed.

The customers I have running 2008 R2 SP1 and XenApp 6 are having ZERO
issues.  But they have specific MS and Ctx hotfixes installed for the
specific issues they were having with XA6.

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Greg Reese

If I am following you correctly Carl, you're saying you prefer windows 2008
r2 and XA6?

And we really shouldn't pick on Joe before his time zone is awake.

On Jun 2, 2011, at 8:31 AM, "Webster" <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Once HRP3 for XA5 2003 came out, the Data Collector election process
changed.  HRP3 altered the data store for logon storms when using Farm and
App limit counts.  When user 3001 logon on with Farm/App limits in place,
IMA choked and logon would exceed 15 minutes per user.  Users # 2999 and
3000 were fine but 3001+ suffered.  This means that XA5 on 2008 was no
longer considered the most current XenApp version.  Which altered the Data
Collector election process.  This also meant that a mixed farm could prove
disastrous for your data store.  XA5/2008 did not know about the changes to
the data store until HRP1 was released.  The IMA changes were put into XA6.
If you made changes to the farm from a 2008 server using the 2008 DSC you
could in theory destroy your data store.

Learned all this at Summit TechEdge 2008 in Orlando.

Webster

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Hamilton, Ronnie

Good to here that as it looks like my next two servers is going to be 2008
with office 2010 and XenApp5.

Have you mixed 2003 and 2008 in the same farm ?

I will be using two separate published desktops one for Office 2010 users
and the other for the rest.

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Matt Kosht

OK Carl I'll bite. What is wrong with XA5/2008?  I run this now in
production.  I find it to be stable and performing well.

-Matt

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:03 AM, <webster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I personally think that XenApp 5 on Server 2008 is the ugly red-headed
step-child of the XenApp family tree.  My apologies to all you good
looking red-headed step-children on the list.

Webster