[THIN] Server spec's

  • From: "Hamilton, Ronnie" <ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:28:32 +0100

Hi,

Just a quick one I need to go out and buy two new servers to house
Office 2010 + all our other apps.

We currently get to approx. 20 users per box as we only run 2003 with
XenApp 5.

I do plan to move to 2008 R2 XenApp6 sometime next year.

Currently I have a mix of HP DL 360 servers.  Which are quad core x 2
processors.

I have two DL 360 G6 servers which I feel are over specked with 4 quad
core processors and 16 Gb ram, again only running 2003 so only using
4GB.

There barely run past 2-3 % under full load.

My question really is:

As I always run out of memory before anything else is there any point
paying for 4 x quad core processors or should 2 be fine.

Keeping in mind that I will try and go 2008 R2 and XenApp 6 next year if
all goes to plan.

I know this is kind of how long is a piece of string question.

But any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ronnie

Ronnie Hamilton
Senior Network Engineer

Lufthansa Technik Airmotive Ireland

IT Department
Naas Road, Rathcoole

Co. Dublin, Ireland
Phone: +353 1 401 1253
E-mail: ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx <mailto:ronnie.hamilton@xxxxxxx>

www.ltai.ie

Visit our website : www.ltai.ie
45999.   Registered Office: Naas Road, Rathcoole, Co.Dublin.
Reg. No. 140891.  Registered Office: Naas Road, Rathcoole, Co.Dublin.
The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential and may be
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message,
delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender by return email.
You should not read, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, disclose or use
this email or its contents in any way. Any such action is strictly prohibited.
Thank you.