[THIN] Re: Server farm IP change - will it work?

  • From: "Angela Smith" <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 23:11:19 +1100

Hi

Ive been assured the 2 VLAN's will see each other and there will be no controls / restrictions between the VLANs. Ive recently been informed that only the PS4 servers are moving, not any of the backend servers such as SQL, Web interface etc. This should make the change even easier.

We have a dedicated server running as the Zone Data Collector / Terminal Services Licensing Server. Would you suggest this server be moved to the new Citrix VLAN so its on the same network as the other PS4 servers or does it not matter??.

Will the Citrix server zone information automatically change when I move the servers into the new VLAN or will I need to manually change zones for each server once its moved?

The only hardcoded reference I found is in a AD GPO which points to the Terminal Services License server. Everything else uses the DNS name.

Thanks
Ang

From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [THIN] Re: Server farm IP change - will it work?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:37:08 -0000

I'd make sure you routing works between the two vlans - always fun finding
your server come up with a new IP address and then you, or one of the
servers providing license services, or database connections lose the
connection because a gateway address or subnet is not configured properly.

You might want to check any iis services/ica winstation service to make sure that no one has forced the service to look at a particular IP address rather
than 'default'

If you've WI/PN agent/CSG services you'll need to update those as well
whenever you move a server that's referenced by them. Likewise for any
altaddr's you might have set up? Same goes for DNS entries - are they all
dynamically configured or have you got some specific cname entries that have
been configured manually?

Possibly a check to make sure no bright spark configured a local hosts table
entry on server(s) hard coding zDCs/license server/datastore?

Bear in mind that the clients are going to be referencing something - do you
have hard coded references to servers, or do you have DNS names (e.g.
ica.mycompany.local) configured for your clients?

Once you've moved a server you could run a qfarm and a dscheck to make sure
there is nothing untoward hanging around.