[THIN] Re: Scrolling forever

  • From: "Philip Walley" <philip.walley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:35:59 -0500

I did some testing a while back with several different thin clients. =
This scrolling issue dates back to the winframe days. What I found is =
that it is caused by different components of the thin clients, but can =
be corrected easiest in the video settings. The only thin client that I =
found that worked with out the scrolling issue is the Neoware Pro6000. =
Why? It has 128MB video RAM.=20

I did find that if you get into the BIOS of the thin clients, you can =
adjust the video settings (in most cases) to allow more RAM to be used. =
There were a couple of other settings concerning video that were able to =
be increased thus making the scrolling more user manageable. I wish I =
had taken better notes at the time b/c I do not remember exactly what =
the setting names were off the top of my head and I do not have one =
close by that I can get into to refresh my memory.=20

So to make the long story short, it is most common that it is the client =
side video that is causing a bottle neck of video which appears as the =
scrolling issue. The easiest fix is to have a normal video card/chipset =
that uses 128MB of RAM but that it all but impossible unless a card is =
added to the client thus causing us to have to tweak what settings we =
have to lower the latency that is seen.=20

=20
Philip Walley=20
Sr. Network Engineer=20
Consultrix Technologies=20