[THIN] SV: Re: OT:Exchange not getting certain email

  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:13:22 +0200

Just a shot in the dark... but i'll mention it anyway...

I had a problem sending mail from my company to a customer. After some testing
i found a route in my gateway router wich send all traffic to the subnet on
wich the remote mailserver resided to a dial-up port (wich was not enabled at
this time).

You can ask the people at the remote company to check the "cached lookups" on
the DNS server theyr mailserver is using, and see what MX record they have for
your mail domain. Also, if both your Server/Firewall andt theyrs accept pings,
try a ping/tracert from the server wich sends the mail to the one recieving.

To check for domain blocking:
Do a telnet session to problem mailserver (the one wich the MX record points at)

helo bs.com
mail from:bill.gates@xxxxxxxxxxx   (insert at adress from problem domain)
rcpt to: your@xxxxxxxx                  Insert adress you want to recieive mail
to)
data
this is a testmail.
.
quit

This will send a mail to the server, you can use this to test if there is a
sending/routing or recieving problem.

Mvh
Svein Arild Haugum
Technical Leader, IT Dept.