[THIN] SQL Replication possible long term problems?

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:01:21 -0600

Ok. I have been working with a client on their XP migration. Hundreds of
Servers across 4 data centers. We were going to use SQL 2k with Merge
replication for the data stores. This worked great in a lab and seemed
stabile as could be. Anyway Citrix told us that they wont support Merge
replication only transitive (one-way, master -slave) replication. SO in
thinking about this design change I started thinking about possible
problems with this in a large env with lots of remote servers.

I mean think about the simple things like the way the server will update
the data store if a print driver (or anything else) is installed.
Lets say that a driver is updated on a remote citrix server that talks
to the DataStore via one of the read-only replicas. This driver update
can be through Citrix replication, or via a script that updates them
remotely.
Anyway a new driver is installed on the server, the IMA service attempts
to update the DS once it "sees" the new driver on the OS. Since the
DataStore that this server is talking to is read only what happens?=20

My guess is that it will attempt to write this info to the DS (which
will fail or be over written by the next replication) and since it can
not write this info will it continue to try  and write that info? What
happens when I have 50 or 100 remote servers all failing to write this
type of info.? What will be the effect on server performance and data
store performance. Changing all the servers to talk to the master/
writeable DS just to add a print driver or hotfix would be a pain.

=20
Obviously this will also be a problem with things like Services packs,
MS hotfixes, Citrix hotfixes, IP changes, etc. So every time anything is
updated that writes to the DS we have to run a dsmaint, change the DSN
so the server talks to the writeabile DS, restart the IMA service, do
the update, then change it back then restart the IMA service again. =20

Anyone else dealing with this? Or have any thought on long term
ramifications of this inherently "weak" design?

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
=20
RapidApp