[THIN] Re: **SPAM-Phrase** What is locking files

  • From: "Christopher Checca" <chris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:15:51 -0600

There are several tools on http://www.sysinternals.com/ that can help.

Christopher Checca
Packard Transport, Inc.
IT Department
24021 South Municipal Dr
PO Box 380
Channahon, IL.  60410
815 467 9260
815 467 6939 Fax
christopher.checca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.packardtransport.com

-----Original Message-----
From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Stratton, Doug ISMC:EX
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 11:13 AM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: **SPAM-Phrase** [THIN] What is locking files

w2k3/cmfpsv3 r03/office 2003

Can anyone tell me how I can identify what process/executable is locking a
file on a remote fileserver?  We are having problems with peoples word and
pst files getting locked and I would like to see what is hanging onto it.

At this point I don't have admin rights on the file servers and we have just
been asking the fileserver guys to confirm locked and unlock it. If what
they see is the same thing I see when I use computer management and look in
shared folders/open files it does not identify what is holding the file
open.

I wish to identify what is holding it open if that is what is going on?  Or
does some app start, open a file,lock it and if the app crashes? there is no
reference to the app just that it is locked by that user??

Thanks for any info.