[THIN] Re: SPAM-LOW: Single vs dual core

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:58:57 -0500

Not using yet.

Beware that while Microsoft treats dual core as a single processor in their
licensing count, that does not (necessarily) apply to other vendors, and you
need to check with each vendor on what their policy is.  I am not even sure
if it applies to all Microsoft products or just the OS (does anyone know?).

Vendors have a right to charge more money when the customer is getting more
value.  Lots of ways to cut that (per install, per processor, per user,
etc).  Some vendors are looking at what Microsoft is doing and playing it in
the middle.  Oracle, for example, has announced several versions of a scheme
where the additional processors cost a fraction of the original.  It isn't
clear that they have struck a good enough balance to satisfy the market yet,
so there may be more volatility in pricing there.

tim