[THIN] Re: SMB Current Commands and SMB tuning

  • From: "Andrew Wood" <andrew.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:03:20 -0000

Joe's figures are the ones recommended - bear in mind you need to change the
file servers as well

To answer your question Dan, perhaps your servers are fairly flat because
the SMB commands were relatively constant when you did the test and by the
looks of it, operating relatively well. When did you do the test? During the
day? First thing in the morning? At the end of the day? Mid afternoon? If
you were to set off some big file copies on a server - does the number go
up? If you tune the values on the TS servers and the file servers, does the
file copy take less time?

What are those perfmon values on your file servers/domain controllers? What
is the maxmpxct value on the file servers those citrix servers communicate
with?

"I've got an un-tuned server that hit 57 today without any reported issues"
- its possible you did have a problem, it slowed for a second or two, or
wasn't as responsive as it could have been. "No Issues" often equals "no one
said anything to me" - Maybe no one would have reported it because, unless
it was prolonged, or regular, or stopped your CEO from checking Facebook few
would raise a helpdesk call along the lines of "5 minutes ago the citrix
server paused for a second or two, but its ok, it got better"

This is a great article to read - which details SMB tuning across Windows
2003 x32/x64->windows2008R2

http://community.citrix.com/display/ocb/2010/10/21/SMB+Tuning+for+XenApp+and
+File+Servers+on+Windows+Server+2008

A.