[THIN] SMB Current Commands and SMB tuning

  • From: Dan Dill <DanD@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:10:49 -0800

Hello,

I've been digging into SMB tuning for our PS 4.5 Server 2003 x64 citrix farm as
our farm currently doesn't have MaxMpxCt or MaxCmds set on our servers.  I am
confused by the results of the Redirector\Current Commands output in perfmon.
That counter is defined as: "counts the number of requests to the Redirector
that are currently queued for service" however the graph over time is quite
flat when I could expect a queue graph to look spikey.  Is that counter a
combination of the outstanding SMB requests plus something else?

I've got an un-tuned server that hit 57 today without any reported issues when
I would have expected it to cap at 50 or start exhibiting problems at that
level.

Anyone know why those counters are fairly flat?  Is there a better way to see
if I'm hitting MaxCmds or do people just set it higher regardless?

[cid:image001.png@01CB84E4.ADC77110]

Thanks,

Dan Dill |Systems Engineer | Harsch Investment Properties

PNG image