[THIN] Re: SATA drives

  • From: Jez <jezosaurus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:12:32 +0200

(I'm using HP Proliants as a reference point because almost all my
server HW experience is with Proliants)

If you look at the HP Proliant 350 server (best selling HP server), it
has had SAS drives as an option since the G4 version. I'd say from
about early 2005? It takes quite some time for "new" technology to be
developped into a server range, so it does not surprise me that the
paper was released in 2003 and its taken that long for SAS to come
into widespread use.

The ML350 G4 servers offered SATA, SAS and U320-SCSI. Most are
U320-SCSI because people understand that technology, usually by
default. A few are SATA because they are attracted by the cost
(Usually without understanding the technology or MTBF figures). I've
never seen a G4 with SAS drives in though, probably because it's new
technology (remember, SCSI has been used in servers for 20 years now)
and people just have not considered that as an option.

You will start seeing SAS drives now, because the ML350 G5 (just out)
only has SATA or SAS as an option. Therefore, you have no "SCSI"
option, and you _have_ to consider new technology and ask yourself a
few questions.

On 9/29/06, Mark Mucher <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Great paper - thanks!

But, did you see that if was from three years ago?

Makes me feel so old... <G>