[THIN] Re: SATA drives

  • From: "Jeff Pitsch" <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:46:17 -0400

SATA is slower than SCSI so your really hurting yourself from a disk
performance perspective.  I wouldn't use them at all in a TS environment.
Why create a bottleneck?  Your supposed to eliminate bottlenecks.

Jeff Pitsch Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server Provision Networks VIP

Forums not enough?
Get support from the experts at your business
http://jeffpitschconsulting.com

On 9/28/06, Roger Riggins <roger.riggins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't claim to be a HDD expert, but the MTBF is less on SATA drives, even SATAII. They also spec the MTBF for SATA based on 80% duty cycle vs 100% duty cycle for SCSI. On the manufacturer's websites you'll notice that they target SATA for consumers and low-end servers that should be accessed less frequently, like for archive.

Roger Riggins
Network Administrator
Lutheran Services in Iowa
w: 319.859.3543