[THIN] Re: SATA drives

  • From: "Amer Karim" <amerk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 16:38:38 -0700

The Seagate 3GB/s SATA drives (Barracuda ES) lines have a 5-year
warranty - and, for the price, I can put 8 of those in a server with
RAID-10 and RAID-5 with 2 hot-spares for a fraction of the cost of SCSI
for equivalent capacity.  In other words, I'd have to disagree with the
comments about SATA not being a viable alternative to SCSI/SAS.  And
throw in an SAS RAID controller, and you've made the migration to SAS
drives down the road a fairly simple thing as well.  The SATA disks
being referred to in those articles are older tech and better suited for
desktop computers, rather than servers - IMHO.

Regards,
Amer Karim
Nautilis Information Systems