[THIN] Re: Running Outlook.prf once

  • From: "Jose Luis Delgado" <delgadojl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:51:29 -0600

Hello everyone.

We are currently converting from MS outlook 2000 to MS outlook 2003 on
Windows server 2003, with a new farm running MPS4.0. I have followed
the instruction on this posting and others that basically refer to the
same process, we are using and existing .PRF file from MS outlook
2000, we import the file with the /importPRF switch, MS outlook Opens
but it seems that is not importing the OPS file, since it only opens
the 'personal folder' when we click on MS outlook. Any other
suggestion or registry keys that need to be hacked.

Thank you in advance.
-Jose.

On 1/31/06, Jeff Pitsch <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
See learn something new everyday.  This is the solution I'd use.

Jeff

On 1/31/06, James K. Hathaway <jhathaway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, but as long as you have a pre-made PRF file, you can manually
recreate the pieces that the custom install wizard puts in the registry to
get this to work.

> Relevant Registry path =
HKCU\software\microsoft\office\11.0\Outlook\Setup

>     Relevant Keys:
>

>         - FirstRun (dword)
>
>                 - This Value has to be either Null, or 0 for a new update
to take affect.

>         - First-Run (dword)
>
>                 - This Value has to be either Null, or 0 for a new update
to take affect.

>         - ImportPRF (REGSZ)
>
>                 - This value refers to the PRF file you've previously
created which tells outlook how to configure the user's outlook profile.

> Note that the registry path listed above is "HKey_Current_User", meaning
this change is user specific. You can also stage these registry keys under

HKLM\software\microsoft\windowsnt\terminalservices\install\software\micrsoft\office\11.0\outlook\setup
– If you place the values here, then new windows profiles created on the
server would get the PRF file you've specified when they start outlook.

> For existing users / profiles, there are a number of script options you
could use to pipe these new values into their HKCU on login as needed.

> HTH

> ________________________________

Behalf Of Jeff Pitsch
> Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:14 AM
> To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [THIN] Re: Running Outlook.prf once
>

> Or use the custom maintenance wizard to create the profile, then run the
change onto the servers and it will put everything in place for you.  I hope
that makes sense.  that's why I always recommend using the custom
installation wizard to create an MST so that these things are in place
before hand.

> Jeff Pitsch
>

> On 1/31/06, Matthew Shrewsbury < MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Write a batch file that checks for a flag. If the flag doesn't exist then
run the Outlook.prf and after running sets the flag so it won't run again.

> Something like …
>

> IF EXIST H:\Windows\coscan.prf goto Outlook
>

> copy M:\WINNT\profgen\coscan.prf H:\Windows
>

> start "M:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE" /importprf
H:\Windows\coscan.prf

> goto end
>

> :Outlook
>

> start OUTLOOK.EXE
>

> :end
>

> Matthew Shrewsbury, MCSE+Internet MCSE 2000 CCA Server+
>
> Senior Network Administrator

Behalf Of Michael Boggan
> Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:45 AM
> To: thin list
> Subject: [THIN ] Running Outlook.prf once
>

> We are using a PRF file to generate each users mail profile when they run
Outlook.  Since we are also using roaming profiles, we only want to run the
PRF file the first time the login. Right now it is part of the Outlook icon
on the desktop.  This is not working because it regenerates there mail
profile everytime they run it, so any changes they make are erased; such as
signature configurations.  Any suggestions on how this can be run only the
first time they login and then they use the regular outlook.exe the rest of
the time.

> Thanks,
>

> Michael Boggan

This
e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply e-mail and
delete the e-mail. We appreciate your
cooperation.

http://www.freelists.org/list/thin