[THIN] Re: Running Impromptu 7 on W2K3 and XP

  • From: "Jay Moock" <jmoock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:25:35 -0400

Cognos is a PITA, but we are running v7 here on Win2k/Win2k3 without
problems.
Here's what I do in order to get it to work:

Set Impromptu State File Location=windir in \Program
Files\Cognos\cer3\bin\cer3.ini under the [Cognos Locations] section

Change the value of CognosIni in HKLM\SW\Cognos to M:\WINDOWS\.. (where M:\
is the system drive).  A reboot is recommended after doing this.

Place default copies of Cognos.ini and Impromptu.ini in M:\Windows
(fortunately all our Cognos Users only report against one database).

Once the users get their own copy of the ini's they could then make the
necessary changes, or if they have their own v6 ini files it should
recognize them (provided the timestamps are newer than the central copies.)

I hope that helps.