[THIN] Re: Run an application in another users session (New Tool On TheThin)

  • From: Mark Lee <marklee15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:21:24 +0000 (GMT)

Mark,

cool, glad you like it.  I'm getting ready to post around 10 command line tools
to my website (incl. RUNIN and an updated SUPERKIL) so I'll post to the group
when they are up there.  I'll also try and fit you're script (and any others I
create or come across)  in with credits etc. if you like !

Mark

 Mark CALLEJA <Mark.CALLEJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Mark

Great app we have a requirement to occasionally ping a user's router or
workstation to prove that the network is slow (as oposed to the servers
are grinding) prior to this app we had to allow these users access to
cmd (dangerous plus). I have written up a quick batch file which we can
run on request (which utilises runin.exe). The users can then see the
slowness of the link for themselves :)

feel free to modify and add to this script...:)
===========================
@echo off
rem This script will start a ping to a host from within their citrix
session

rem ----------------------------username-------------------------
@echo Type in the user's name then press "Enter" then "F6" and then
Enter again.
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%A IN ('TYPE CON') DO SET name=%%A
for /f "skip=1 tokens=1,3" %%h in ('quser') do if "%%h" == "%name%"
echo %%i>%scriptdir%\users.txt
echo %user2%

rem ----------------------------ping address---------------------
@echo Type in the host or IP address you want to ping
@echo then press "Enter" then "F6" and then Enter again.

FOR /F "tokens=*" %%b IN ('TYPE CON') DO SET site=%%b

rem ----------------------------Set User ID--------------------------
FOR /F "tokens=*" %%c IN ('type %scriptdir%\users.txt') DO SET uid=%%c

runin.exe "ping %site% -t" %uid%

===========================

thanks again

Mark Calleja
Coordinator Network Systems
Network Systems
Dept Housing and Works
(08) 9222 4941
mark.calleja@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> marklee15@xxxxxxxxx 20/11/2002 17:02:26 >>>

Every wanted to run an application in another session for some reason ?
No, then don't read on and delete this message.

If you have then get RUNIN from TheThin.Net
(http://thethin.net/runin.zip) and unzip into you're system32
directory. From the command line type

RUNIN

for example

RUNIN c:\winnt\notepad.exe 8

to run Notepad in session id 8 ! That's it, appart from the following
notes

1. The process started in the remote session is in the context of the
user 'YOU@ are using to start the process with - usually an Admin so be
careful !

2. In order to start the process you MUST have the right to 'Act as
part of the operating system'. The RUNIN app will try to obtain this
right itself, however, you should either edit you're GPO or your Local
Security settings (if no GPO) and add you're user (admin or whoever) to
the Act as part of the operating system User Right's if this command
fails.

That's it - anyone has any problems or questions about this please let
me know.

Cheers

Mark

ps. this will not work cross server (yet!)