[THIN] Re: Restriction based on PC

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:48:15 -0700

I thought about doing that and that may be the route I take.  I was just
hoping for some way of assigning licenses and restricting others.

adam

|         |           "Jim Kenzig      |
|         |           Kenzig.com"      |
|         |           <jkenzig@xxxxxxxx|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           thin-bounce@freel|
|         |           ists.org         |
|         |           03/23/2005 11:06 |
|         |           thin             |

  |       To:       thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                 |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [THIN] Re: Restriction based on PC

Of course if the other thing I thought of is if you are running Windows
2003 set the licensing to per user and you wont have to worry about running
out of licenses...per the below from...
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/mstsc_tshoot_lic.asp
Per User CALs are not monitored by Terminal Server. This means that even
though there is a Per User CAL in the license server database, the Per User
CAL is not decremented when it is used. This does not remove administrators
from EULA requirements to have a valid terminal server CAL for each user.
Failure to have a Per User CAL for each user, if Per Device CALs are not
being used, is a violation of the EULA.

Of course this  doesn't actually stop people from taking a license it just
keeps you from having to really worry about it....
JK

"Jim Kenzig Kenzig.com" <> wrote:
 Pehaps you could do something with setting permissions on the TS licensing
 key in the registry. You would have to deny everyone access to it probably
 might work.  Other thing you could do is use ipsec on the server or
 firewall and block the workstations  IP or TS ports to the server maybe?
 JK

 Bill Beckett <beckett.bill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Cannot do it with 1.8 I suppose?

  On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:08:32 -0700, Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  wrote:
  > I have a follow-on question..is there a way to restrict certain
  machines
  > from grabbing a TS license? I need to find a way to restrict access to
  > our farms from certain machines. I can't do users because we use
  > thinclients in our conference rooms so we never know who is going to
  need
  > to logon. Is there a way via GPO maybe to prevent access to TS?
  >
  > adam

  > | | "Rick Mack" |
  > | | > | | e.com.au> |
  > | | Sent by: |
  > | | thin-bounce@freel|
  > | | ists.org |
  > | | |
  > | | |
  > | | 03/22/2005 07:21 |
  > | | PM |
  > | | Please respond to|
  > | | thin |
  > | | |

  > | |
  > | To: |
  > | cc: |
  > | Subject: [THIN] Re: Restriction based on PC |

  > Hi Bill,
  >
  > You can do client-based filtering with MPS3, however it'd be dead easy
  > discriminate on the basis of client name or client IP address if you
  wanted
  > to with Metaframe XP.
  >
  > regards,
  >
  > Rick
  >
  > Ulrich Mack
  > Volante Systems

This Weeks Sponsor: RTO Software TScale
Services running Windows NT, 2000 or 2003.
http://www.rtosoft.com/enter.asp?id=296