[THIN] Re: Restrict Windows Explorer

  • From: "Peric, Nathan" <nperic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:45:42 +0000

Angela,

Here is how I have hidden those items on my Published Desktop servers.   The
links are where I found the information and include screen shots, the text is
just my quick notes on how to make the changes.   I suppose the changed could
be done via GPO preferences but I just put them in my Published Desktop VM
image that I created.

Remove Libraries/Favorites/Network from Explorer and Applications

Favorites:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-favorites-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open
Registry Editor.

2. You will need to modify the following keys:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{323CA680-C24D-4099-B94D-446DD2D7249E}\ShellFolder]
3. Change the value of the "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side
section. Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have
proper permissions.
To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select
"Permissions".
It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow"
box given for "Full Control" permission.
Click on OK button to apply the changes.
4. Double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and
change its value to a9400100
5. Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in
Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Favorites" in Navigation pane and Applications,
simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to a0900100 using step 4.

Libraries:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-libraries-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/

    1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open
Registry Editor.

2. You will need to modify the following keys:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{031E4825-7B94-4dc3-B131-E946B44C8DD5}\ShellFolder]

3. Change the value of the "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side
section. Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have
proper permissions.

To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select
"Permissions".
It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow"
box given for "Full Control" permission.
Click on OK button to apply the changes.
4. Double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and
change its value to b090010d
5. Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in
Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Libraries" in Navigation pane and Applications,
simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b080010d  using step 4.

Network:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-network-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/

1. Type regedit in RUN or Start Menu search box and press Enter. It'll open
Registry Editor.

2. You will need to modify the following keys:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C}\ShellFolder]
3. Change the value of the "Attributes" DWORD value present in the right-side
section. Windows will not allow you to change its value as you won't have
proper permissions.
To get permissions, first right-click on "ShellFolder" key and select
"Permissions".
It'll open a new window. Select "Administrators" in user list and check "Allow"
box given for "Full Control" permission.
Click on OK button to apply the changes.
4. Double-click on "Attributes" DWORD value given in right-side section and
change its value to b0940064
5. Log off or restart your system and "Favorites" will no longer present in
Explorer window.

NOTE: If you want to restore "Network" in Navigation pane and Applications,
simply change value of "Attributes" DWORD to b0040064 using step 4.

Additional Info:

http://www.petri.co.il/remove-libraries-and-favorites-from-windows-explorer.htm

Nathan Peric
Senior System Engineer
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

From: Angela Smith <angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:angela_smith9@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:30 AM
To: "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [THIN] Restrict Windows Explorer

Hi

I'm trying to lock down my published Windows Explorer which runs on Windows
2008R2/XenApp 6.5.  Has anyone successfully restricted or hidden the following
items:

- Network
- Libraries\Music
- Libraries\Pictures
- Libraries\Videos

Network icon is my main concern..  As a side note are there any guides that
assist with this type of lockdown..  Happy to use AD GPO or scripts to make the
modifications.  Any assistance appreciated..

Ang

E-mail Confidentiality Notice: This message (including any attachments)
contains information intended for a specific individual(s) and purpose, which
may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure pursuant
to applicable law. Any inappropriate use, distribution or copying of the
message is strictly prohibited and may subject you to criminal or civil
penalty. If you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the
sender indicating this error and delete the transmission from your system
immediately.