[THIN] Reset anonymous sessions from dead PCs

  • From: Lennart Koschella <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:38:47 +0200

Hello!

We have a database application running on our Metaframe XP servers. The users authenticate themselves to the database, so there's no need for another authentication to the server, thus we have published the application anonymously.

However, the database application doesn't accept more than 1 concurrent user with the same database username. Unfortunately, some users simply switch off their PCs instead of shutting them down, in these cases the anonymous sessions are still in active state. If these users restart their PCs and the application, the database refuses the connection, because there still exists another connection under the same name.

We don't want to set an idle timeout on these connections because many people often leave their PCs and return later to continue working with this application. Is there a possibility to terminate an anonymous session immediately after the client isn't reachable anymore? There is no disconnected state in anonymous applications which can be taken over at the next login, so why is the anonymous session still active if the client is "dead"?

Our environment:
Windows 2000 SP3
Metaframe XP FR3
Novell Client 4.91 SP2