[THIN] Re: Repost - Entire Farm Crashed Yesterday

  • From: "Mack, Rick" <RMack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:34:10 +1000

Hi,

FR3 extends the parole period to 96 hours. I suspect more than a few people
had the issue where a Friday night failure led to a Monday morning debacle.

Technically the local host cache ought to keep the farm going for 48 hours.
However if the Metaframe server is rebooted, or any other activity occurs
which requires a refresh of the local host cache, things get a bit ordinary.

The basic issue is that the datastore is essential for a number of
functions, and while the data collector can pinch hit for the datastore
while its down, it's really easy to break things, particularly when you're
desperately trying to get things back together.

The one saving grace is that the IMA datastore isn't terribly dynamic so
it's relatively simple to have more than one copy of the datastore floating
around in addition to any backups.

As an example, We're trialling the use of MSDE on one of our sites, and
every night, mdse is stopped, and the database is copied to another server
running msde. We've seamlessly (change mf20.dsn pointer, restart ima
service) swapped between the 2 datastores without any apparent problems.

Note this is an unsupported configuration, but it has been stable so far. It
has the advantage of having the right price, and being sufficiently robust
that database copying etc is very easy. MSDE isn't terribly scalable, but
for smaller sites it seems to beat the heck out of using a localized access
datastore.

Regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack