[THIN] Remote access without software requirements

  • From: "PETERSON, DAVID" <DPETERSO@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:00:20 -0400

Is there a way to remotely access data (at least Outlook from Exchange =
2000) with no software requirements on the client? This is the issue:

Parts of management hates Outlook Web Access, so that is not an option, =
at least until we upgrade to 2003. One of the reasons is that depending =
on how Office 2000 was installed on a system, it may ask for the Office =
CD to install components, but he has other issues with it in general. =
The network admins want me to find something with no software =
requirements on the client. We have Metaframe XP and a WI 2.1 interface, =
but that does not meet their requirements as it requires Java, and they =
are concerned that there are systems that do not have a Microsoft or Sun =
Java client (I know the Citrix Java client is install-less). I also =
think users would not like to lose basic functionality like the scroll =
wheel even if the Microsoft JVM is installed. Even using a terminal web =
connection is out, as it requires an ActiveX control, which must be =
installed by a user with more than regular user rights, at least on =
2000/XP.

Is it possible to do this? I may resort to just getting him a =
Blackberry, but we don't give equipment like that to everyone. Any =
solution would be appreciated.

Thanks
Starting at $199!
http://www.neoware.com