[THIN] Remote Desktop Connection Client

  • From: Scott <sdelagrange@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:27:29 -0500

I’m having trouble understanding what is meant in
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753945(v=ws.10).aspx where it
says “If you enable this policy setting, a user will be prompted on the
client computer—instead of on the terminal server—to provide credentials
for a remote connection to a terminal server” in the section for *Prompt
for credentials on the client computer**.  If the user is prompted on the
client computer instead of the terminal server, what’s it authenticating
against? And the last line in that section discusses the difference between
2008 and previous versions, it says for server 2008 the user will be
prompted on the client to provide creds for the remote connection.*

* *

*Can anyone help me understand what this means?*

Windows 2003 and 2008

The reason for this is because we have an environment running on a
manufacturing floor using Arista AP-3200 thin clients that utilize
ThinManager for configurations and on the older 2003 systems we can have
the account and password that is used to start the session stored in the
configuration and the clients automatically logon and start the HMI
application.  But in 2008, it always prompts for the password to start the
session.  We have the security within the HMI application instead of
relying on the OS because of an issue within the application.

I'm not sure that the article is related to our issue but I couldn't make
sense of what the difference of being prompted at the client or at the
server is.

--

Thanks,
Scott D.