[THIN] Re: Remapping drive letters after ghost

  • From: "Aterea Brown" <aterea.brown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 07:28:57 +1200

Hi Steve,

I have succesfully used the -fdsp switch for ghost.  This forces
ghost to leave the the disk signature alone (or write the original
one).
Then when windows boots up, it doesnt see new drives and therefore
re-assign drive letters.
If it re-assigns drive letters you can still recover if you have the
remote registry service running.  You can connect to the computers
registry and hack the values in \\HKLM\System\MountedDevices, look for
the values named \DosDevices\C: etc, these are the new drive mappings,
you will also see the old ones in there i.e. \DosDevices\M: (or
whatever) delete these first, then rename the \DosDevices\C: etc to
what they should be then reboot.  I have also succesfully pulled this
one off on a few servers.

kind regards

Aterea Brown,
Systems Engineer
Technology Services
Auckland University of Technology.
Email: aterea.brown@xxxxxxxxx
Ph: +649-917-9999 ext 3899
Fax: +649-917-9818
The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
E-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended

unlawful.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender and may
not reflect the views of AUT.

>>> Steve.ROSA@xxxxxxxxxx 20:37 08/05/2003 >>>
Hello,

I have a ghost image of a NT4TSE with MF 1.8. The drives have been
remapped
during the installation of MF.

When I deploy the image on a new server, the drives letters are C:,
D:, ...

I use Ghost 6, is there a specific parameter to use in order to have
the
drives correclty named M:, N:...

Thanks in advance and best regards,

        Steve Rosa