[THIN] Re: Relocating user profiles

  • From: Christopher Trotier <ctrotier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:39:51 -0700 (PDT)

Rick-

  Thanks for your help.  The registry key was what I was missing.

  Chris

Rick Mack <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hi Christopher,

  You're actually dealing with 2 different profile locations.

  Setting the TS profile location defines a location for storing the TS
profiles. User profiles get saved to there when you log out and read from there
when you log in. It's exactly analogous to a network profile location.

  But when users log on to the server, the operating system stores a locally
cached or transient copy of their profile on disk, normally under C:\documents
and Settings. You may see 3 different types of profile folder names. The most
common is just the users logon name, but it can also be username.domainname.
That's quite normal as opposed to when you're having profile load/unload
issues, when you'll see username.001, username.002 etc. This can also happen
after a server crash when profiles weren't unloaded properly.

  The locally cached profile location is defined by a value under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist,
ProfilesDirectory. This value is normally %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings
but can be changed to a different location if desired. If your C drive is
filling up, then changing the location to D:\documents and Settings or whatever
will work fine for any NEW user logons, but will require that you run delprof
first to be consistent.

  Deleting the locally cached profiles on logoff can also help a lot since it
means you won't have 2 copies of everything hanging around. This can be done by
enabling a group policy "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles", (computer
configuration > administrative templates > system > User Profiles). Running the
Windows 2003 resource kit utility, delprof, will also help you clean up left
over profiles.

  Lastly, iIt's always a good idea to use install UPHClean (Microsoft utility,
microsoft downloads) to make sure your profiles unload most of the time, server
crashes aside.

  regards,

  Rick

  --
Ulrich Mack
Quest Software

  On 3/11/08, Christopher Trotier <ctrotier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:     The servers
in our new Citrix farm only have 10GB OS drives (a fight I lost).  Since we
have 80+ users, this is creating a space issue.

  I enabled a local GPO on each server to move the profiles to a share on the D
drive of each server as they are created: Local Computer Policy | Computer
Configuration | Admin Templates | Windows Components | Terminal Services | Set
Path for Roaming TS PRofiles. I added Authenticated users and Everyone to the
share.

  This is only partially working:  the profiles are still being created on C:,
but also on D:, although they are being appended with .domainname on the D
drive.  The bulk of the data is still being dumped on the C drive.  Weirder
still, the rights are not cascading down to the newly created profiles on the D
drive ? this shouldn't be an issue, as the System and the specific user's
accounts still have rights to them.

  Any ideas as to what I may have missed?

  thanks for your time!

now.