[THIN] Re: Relocating user profiles

  • From: "Rick Mack" <ulrich.mack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:06:56 +1000

Hi Christopher,

You're actually dealing with 2 different profile locations.

Setting the TS profile location defines a location for storing the TS
profiles. User profiles get saved to there when you log out and read from
there when you log in. It's exactly analogous to a network profile location.

But when users log on to the server, the operating system stores a locally
cached or transient copy of their profile on disk, normally under
C:\documents and Settings. You may see 3 different types of profile folder
names. The most common is just the users logon name, but it can also be
username.domainname. That's quite normal as opposed to when you're having
profile load/unload issues, when you'll see username.001, username.002 etc.
This can also happen after a server crash when profiles weren't unloaded
properly.

The locally cached profile location is defined by a value under
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Profilelist,
ProfilesDirectory. This value is normally %SystemDrive%\Documents and
Settings but can be changed to a different location if desired. If your C
drive is filling up, then changing the location to D:\documents and Settings
or whatever will work fine for any NEW user logons, but will require that
you run delprof first to be consistent.

Deleting the locally cached profiles on logoff can also help a lot since it
means you won't have 2 copies of everything hanging around. This can be done
by enabling a group policy "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles",
(computer configuration > administrative templates > system > User
Profiles). Running the Windows 2003 resource kit utility, delprof, will also
help you clean up left over profiles.

Lastly, iIt's always a good idea to use install UPHClean (Microsoft utility,
microsoft downloads) to make sure your profiles unload most of the time,
server crashes aside.

regards,

Rick

--