[THIN] Re: Redundant Web interface for PNAgent

  • From: "Jeff Durbin" <techlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:23:03 +1200

  I just tested this. I created two DNS records, each called 'test', one
with 192.168.1.90, and one with 192.168.1.95. Both addresses were for valid
machines that were up. I then went to a different machine and did an
NSLOOKUP on 'test'. I got both IP addresses back, so Frank is correct: the
DNS query does return all addresses that are vaild for the host name.
  I then pinged 'test' from the third machine. The host name resolved to
192.168.1.95 and pinged successfully.
  I then shut down 192.168.1.95 and went back to the third machine. I pinged
'test'. It still chose 192.168.1.95, but since the machine was down, it
couldn't successfully ping it. I continued to reinitiate the ping command
for about 5 minutes, and it always failed, as it was always trying to ping
192.168.1.95. Presumably, Chris is correct that the record's TTL has to
expire.
  I then flushed the DNS cache on machine 3 and tried again - still resolved
to 192.168.1.95 and wouldn't ping.
  I then deleted the two 'test' records, set the server's default TTL to 5
seconds, recreated the records, flushed the DNS resolver cache on machine 3,
and pinged again. I still got 192.168.1.95, which wouldn't ping, even after
30 seconds.
  So, the DNS server does return all addresses for the host name, but it
still doesn't seem to 'failover' to a different IP if the first one is no
good. BTW, this is all Win2K.

JD