[THIN] Re: Recommend Laptop

  • From: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:11:23 -0400

I'd recommend Dell as well, but a Latitude D series.  Centrino based.  The
D800 is awesome, but HEAVY with the widescreen monitor.  The D600 is an
excellent machine with a standard screen and a 1.6ghz Centrino can be had
for $2000 w/o software.  Add upgrades to memory and larger HDD yourself.
Don't pay the premium that ANY manufacturer charges.  You can save at least
$100-200 if you add RAM/larger HDD after the fact.

I find Compaq notebooks to all be trash, and Toshiba/Sony aren't in the
league of Dell.  IBM is also an excellent choice, and the only alternative
to Dell that I'd ever choice.