[THIN] Re: Re Installs while users are logged in

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 11:17:24 -0000

Comments inline...

I rarely do stuff at the console - unless I have to - my rationale being
that remote computing shouldn't necessarily need direct access. Admittedly,
there are exceptions (for example, Office 2000 - and a Microsoft product,
too - shame on them), but in general, I do installs via TS sessions.

That said, I would necessarily argue with best practices being what they are
- I'm merely of the view that remote computing *should* be remote computing
- and the installs that don't work via TS sessions (IME) tend to be the
exceptions, rather than the rule - and in fairness, that's largely down to
the limitations of the architecture, or the inadequacies of the installation
programs.

> Are you sure install mode only monitors the current session,
> I was under = the impression it monitored the entire server?

Try it and see, I wasn't guessing ;-)

Neil

recipient(s) only and are confidential and may be privileged.
If they have come to you in error you must take no action based
on them, nor must you copy or disclose them or any part of
their contents to any person or organisation; please notify the
sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from
your computer system.

Please note that Internet communications are not necessarily secure
and may be changed, intercepted or corrupted. We advise that
you understand and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us
and we will not accept any liability for any such changes,
interceptions or corruptions.

Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and its
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping
with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they
are actually virus free.

Copyright in this e-mail and attachments created by us belongs
to Littlewoods.

Littlewoods takes steps to prohibit the transmission of offensive,
obscene or discriminatory material.  If this message contains
inappropriate material please forward the e-mail intact to
postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be investigated.
Statements and opinions contained in this e-mail may not
necessarily represent those of Littlewoods.

Please note that e-mail communication may be monitored.

Registered office:
Littlewoods Retail Limited,
Sir John Moores Building,
100 Old Hall Street,