[THIN] Re: REPOST : Bandwidth Perfmon Counters

  • From: "Randy Hunt" <rhunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:13:33 -0400

Here is what I've found using ICA and Citrix.  Haven't done testing with RDP
but my guess is that the numbers will be a bit larger:

An average ICA Session using Office products (Excel, Word and Outlook) and
an Oracle database, average session bandwidth is  10K with the minimum being
0K (idle session) and bursting to 100K+ during login and printing.  This was
done taking 1 minute average and 1 minute peak for the ICA connections.
What you really need to do is monitor your RDP connections using a
monitoring device (PacketShaper) to determine how much bandwidth (minimum)
is required to establish, maintain, and guarantee the connection to Term
Server.  You probably don't want performance to suffer in a DR scenario.

With Citrix ICA:
400 Connections * 10K per connection = 4MB bandwidth + 500K for printing and
overhead (DNS, WINS, ICMP)...3 T-1's?  If the bandwidth is not controlled,
then this formula doesn't work.

Regards,
Randy