[THIN] RDS 2012 printing to a local USB printer

  • From: Michael Leone <oozerdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ntsysadm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:09:49 -0400

Today we moved from an old Citrix Presentation Manager 4.5 setup, to Win
2012 R2 RDS. The application runs fine. Printing, however, ....

Printing works to a network printer fine. (by which I mean: I add a local
printer to my workstation, either via IP or by accessing one off a print
server). According to my users, however, they can't print to any locally
connected USB printers.

All of my testing was to network printers. The application team was
supposed to have been testing running the application for the last 3 weeks,
we got the update to make it all live. But now this morning the users are
complaining. (guess they forgot to test printing locally, too ...)

Note: this is from published remote apps, this is not from a virtual
desktop. I've found references to using RemoteFX to provide USB
redirection, but they always speak of a virtual desktop, which is not my
environment.

Some of my users seem to be OK, I saw them print to a local USB printer (HP
Laserjet M401), so some USB printing seems to work. I am told that this
printer has 2012 drivers, most of the other printers that are having
problems do not. Yet I have not (yet) installed any drivers on my session
hosts.

Thoughts as to where to go next?