[THIN] Re: RAMDISK

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:28:48 -0500

I would be very interested in knowing if anyone has been able to use a =
RamDisk in terminal server environment to any great effect. Here my =
concern. You have 4GB of addressable memory in Windows NT/2000/2003 when =
running on 32 bit chips. Let's say you have 4GB of RAM on a server, and =
an 8GB page file (12 GB of virtual memory). If you take 512MG of RAM and =
make a RAM disk, you may cause the OS to take 512MB of stuff that was in =
RAM in put it on the page file. In other words you are simply robbing =
Peter to pay Paul with no net gain.

If someone has results that are different than what I have outlined =
above, I would be very interested to hear about it

Best Regards,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software, Inc.