[THIN] RAID mirror rebuilding problem on TS / Dell 2550 cloning

  • From: Scott Wilding <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:48:06 +0100

Hi, this is slightly off-topic, but maybe someone can point me in the
right direction.

I have a rack of Dell 2550 servers each with the same type of hard disk,
and one is now setup as a W2K Terminal Server, on a raid-1 mirrored pair.

I would like to remove one of those mirrored drives to put in another of
the 2550s, and then rebuild each of those 2 machines back onto a newly
inserted drive, so I have 2 identical Terminal Servers with complete
raid-1 mirrored pairs.

When I try this from the raid configuration screen at boot-up, it works
about 20% of the time (the raid controller recognises the drive and
re-builds onto it), the rest of the time nothing happens.

When it works, it's the quickest way I've seen of cloning a server.

I have explored the Dell Array Manager, but the first time I tried it,
the Re-configure option only seemed to offer raid-0 (I had 'unmirrored'
the pair at that point), not raid-1, which was probably something I'd
done wrong.

I've done a fresh install on another machine to see if *not* breaking
the mirror first but still using Re-configure might let me re-build the
mirror at will.

But each time I've inserted a new disk on this test machine to try and
make it re-build, the raid-controller has leapt in and done the re-build
anyway (which normally doesn't happen frequently!).

I've considered Ghost (which I've used on a desktop PC between 2 hard
disks) but don't know how I'd get the image off and onto the server, or
whether it will work with raid-1 mirrors.  The raid-rebuild sounds a lot
simpler to me when they work.

So I still don't have complete control of my re-builds, which is the
object of the exercise. Does anyone else have anything they can add to
this?

Many thanks in advance.

Scott.

--